Saturday 16 February 2013

Arrivals

My poem today is about anticipation...

Arrivals
 
I'm at the airport, early, and the flight is late,
But I'm in no hurry, I'm happy to just wait;
A moment planned weeks ago, to meet again,
And remembering the love, and parting pain;
Now time to meet again, in the arrivals hall,
I feel like an actor, waiting for curtain call,
Sitting in a chair, watching the double door;
And it slides open. People from flight before
Coming in, looking around for friendly face;
There's one couple, smile, reach out, embrace;
Children laughing, run in, pause, look about,
And see their grandmother, with joy they shout;
All the while, I wait, patiently, still looking on:
Businessmen in shiny suits, rush past, are gone;
And then the stragglers, tired, pulling heavy case,
They come wearily, step by step, at slower pace;
And all are through, and no one else is there;
My heartbeat quickens, excitement feels like fear,
And here comes my lady, with a stylish hat, a smile:
All the waiting, anticipation over weeks worthwhile;
And I see you there, coming to me, with jaunty walk;
I call out, and greet you, but later is the time to talk:
Now is time to embrace, to kiss, to hold once more;
Lovers meeting again by the arrival's opening door.

No comments: