Saturday 9 June 2018

Primeval















This form ABBAABBA CDCCDC is an Italian Sonnet, one I had not tried before, so I thought I'd experiment. 

The subject of the poem came out as I was writing it, and it seems to belong to something dark, almost mythological, from ancestral race memory, hence the title. It is in two parts, but both are a journey of the mind to "the dark places of the inside".

Primeval

Gather darkness, here the night
Deep within the limestone cave
Under the earth, in this enclave
Flickers the tallow, palest light
And on the walls, I paint a sight
With ochres, charcoal I engrave
Hunt, and death, and early grave
Home the hunter from the fight

A wave is breaking on the shore
I climb the rocky crags of pain
Seeking opening, find the door
Come back where I was before
Now I feel my strength to wane
But I break free, amidst the rain

No comments: