Saturday 2 March 2019

Night Vision















In metaphors, in religion, and even in philosophy, darkness is seen as something bad. FamouslyAnne Widdecombe said of Michael Howard that he had "something of the night" about him. We are told that it is better to light and candle than to curse the darkness. Perhaps sometimes we should not be bound in chains by the cultural baggage of light and dark, with the moral overlay that implies. Perhaps sometimes it is better to embrace the darkness, and go out, beneath of black canopy of night, and see the twinkling light of distant suns. 

Night Vision

I love the dark, I love the night
I gaze in wonder at the stars
Wondrous red of planet mars
The milky way, a path of light

Stars above, so shining bright
Full moon of such cratered scars
I love the dark, I love the night
I gaze in wonder at the stars

The stars above, a glorious sight
Away from city lights and cars
Away from noisy bright-lit bars
The firmament so very bright
I love the dark, I love the night

No comments: