Thursday 19 March 2020

Some Experience of Covid-19












What’s it like? That I suppose is a question we are all asking. Here's a quick gleaning of case studies from online news. It can be rough... but it can be survived.


A Wuhan man who came down with the coronavirus in mid-January said he spent three agonizing weeks with worsening symptoms that began when he woke up one day feeling “sore all over.”

The coronavirus had yet to sweep China when Tiger Ye began feeling ill on Jan. 17, and he suspected nothing more than the common cold or flu, he told the Guardian.

Doctors prescribed him medication and sent him to quarantine at home, where his family stocked up on food and Ye retreated to his room.

A week later, he began to develop a cough and fever, and was re-admitted to the hospital. Tests showed the infection had spread throughout his lungs, but he had yet to be diagnosed with coronavirus.

Ye said that from Jan. 21-26 was “the worst time.”

“I coughed so bad my stomach was hurting and my back ached,” he said, adding, “I thought I may have to say goodbye to this life forever.”

On Jan. 29, his older brother and grandmother — who had been delivering him food to his room — came down with symptoms. On the same day, doctors officially diagnosed Ye with the virus, and prescribed him five days of anti-HIV medication.

By Feb. 4, a test showed improvements in Ye’s lungs. His family also began to feel better. Three days later, doctors declared him coronavirus-free.



A 48-year-old woman from a small town in Ohio is recovering in quarantine after a scary diagnosis of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. She's only the second known victim in Summit County.

“I became sick quickly Wednesday afternoon. I felt run down and feverish. By the time I got home I had a fever of 99.2. I was uncomfortable, headache, and a cough that was heavy but not producing anything. I fell asleep and woke at 3 am. My heart was racing. I had trouble catching my breath and my chest felt tight every time I coughed. I contacted a great nurse I know...she said go in, but call first. I called the ER, told them my symptoms and the had me call a closed ohio dept of health number. I was clearly in distress so my nurse called them back and said I was coming in. It's a good thing I did. My BP was very low and my heart rate was very high. These are not good signs on top of fever and cough. They admitted me and I was tested for every single other thing and then they ran the covid test.”

“I am the face of this infection. It is brutal and I'm a healthy 48 year old with no underlying conditions. I'm not 100% better but I'm home resting. Please take this seriously. People you love, their lives may depend on it.”

"Quarantine is not fun, but I would much rather be in quarantine and know I’m not exposing anyone else to this — and I’ll take that," she added.


CBS News spoke with three individuals who have contracted COVID-19 and found out how the illness is affecting them.

A woman named A.N. preferred to use only her initials and said she’s had the virus for more than two weeks.

She said she was initially treated in a Seattle-area hospital in early March but was not offered a test for COVID-19, even though the medical staff was concerned.

"I could see them through the window and they were utterly panicked and they had no idea what they were doing. It was unnerving to be completely honest,” A.N. said.

She said she dialed into a telehealth appointment where she was told to report to a clinic where she was swabbed in her car and confirmed positive in less than 24 hours.

"Excuse me, but it feels like hell. I've had the flu before, it's not even comparable. The fever is so high you hallucinate,” she said. "I'm still having a fever, but it's coming down slowly. I'm only at 100.8 at the moment, which is a dramatic improvement."

Clay Bentley is still hospitalized in Rome, Georgia. He said you’ll know it if you get it.

Bentley said symptoms developed a day after he sang with his church choir. He was first diagnosed with pneumonia and was sent home from the hospital.

"Four days later I got to a point where I couldn’t get out of bed and I said to them ‘Ya’ll sent me home to die.’ And I said, ‘I can’t even move or breathe. Can’t catch my breath,’” Bentley said.

When Bentley returned to the hospital, he realized several other members of his church were also there. The other members also tested positive for coronavirus.

Bentley is now in recovery and looking forward to getting home to his family.

"I felt like today that I have turned third base and I’m headed for home. I felt like I’m through the hard part and ready to go home,” Bentley said.

Elizabeth Schneider believes she and a number of her friends contracted coronavirus while at a party in Seattle. She tested for COVID-19 after her symptoms had subsided.

"When I had the most severe symptoms, it literally felt like I had a different strain of the flu,” Schneider said.

Schneider has a background in microbiology, so through her experience, she does have some advice for those who are anxious.

“If we look at the long term here, I think things will improve,” Schneider said. “This is a fact, I did not have to buy any toilet paper while I was sick. I just got by with the regular stash of toilet paper that I have. It’s good to tell people out there and it’s good to smile and have a laugh.”

Schneider is now donating her blood to help with the quest to develop a coronavirus vaccine.



AKRON, Ohio – Amy Driscoll followed all the recommended protocols.

Wash your hands. Use hand sanitizer. Don’t touch your face.

The Hudson, Ohio, resident still contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has caused daily life in many places around the world to come to a screeching halt.

Her first reaction when her test results came back: “Are you kidding me?”

Driscoll became the second confirmed case of COVID-19 in Ohio's Summit County last week, posting about her experience on Facebook – under her maiden name of Brock – as a way to encourage others to take the disease seriously.

“I was really sick,” she said. “I was really scared there for a little while about how sick I was.”

Driscoll is 48 and provided the Akron Beacon Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network, with documentation from her hospitalization. The paperwork indicates she is to remain quarantined and that she is required to notify anyone who treats her that she is under investigation for COVID-19.

Driscoll, who is home now under quarantine, said she is starting to feel better but is still exhausted and dealing with symptoms like fatigue and headaches.

“Just like my body has been through a battle,” she said.

Amy Driscoll looks on from inside her house as son Cade, 14, grabs food dropped off by her friends.
The mother of four said she was at work at an insurance company on Wednesday when around 3 p.m. she started to feel tired as if she was starting to get sick.

She went home at the end of the day and took her temperature, which was 99.2 degrees, just above normal. She said she took Motrin and fell asleep.

When she woke up at 3 a.m., she was coughing and her chest hurt.

“It was hard to get a breath in and my chest felt constricted,” Driscoll said. “It was like nothing I had ever quite experienced.”

he called her cousin, who is a nurse, and then University Hospitals’ Ahuja Medical Center. The hospital, she said, initially told her to call the Ohio Department of Health’s call center number, but at 3 a.m., there was no answer. Her cousin called Ahuja Medical Center back and told them Driscoll was on her way.

On arrival, Driscoll said, the hospital immediately put her into isolation. They informed her they needed to run a litany of other tests to rule out diseases like the flu and pneumonia, which she has had before. If all were negative, she could be tested for COVID-19.


On Monday, March 9, I became sick while skiing with my family in Aspen, Colorado.

My symptoms began with a light cough and, in a couple of days, progressed to body aches, chills and a much more painful cough.However, at that point, I did not think of the possibility that I could have contracted the virus because I still did not have a fever or shortness of breath -- two of its hallmark symptoms.

That Monday night, I flew back to Nashville and that's when things started getting worse.

By Wednesday, I had terrible body aches, a very productive cough and terrible night sweats; I was regularly coughing up golf-ball sized chunks of mucus.

Many times throughout the night I would wake up so sweaty that it was easier to get in the shower and rinse off before going back to bed, a process that would repeat itself three or four times throughout the night.

I was tired, achy and was dizzy/nauseous throughout the next couple of days. My cough felt like someone set my chest on fire and my bed felt like I had just gotten out of the pool and lay down without drying off.

On Thursday afternoon, I went to an Urgent Care clinic. They tested me for the flu, which came back negative, and later prescribed some steroids and cough medicine for the coughing discharge.

On Thursday evening, however, I was reading the Aspen Times and other local Colorado newspapers when I found out that Aspen had the largest COVID-19 cluster outbreak in Colorado: 9 people were presumed-positive for the virus. Also, two guests at a resort in which we had dinner and drinks several times self-quarantined. Adding up the symptoms and my possible exposure, I began to think I may have it.

On Friday, I went to Vanderbilt to get tested for COVID-19. The wait was long and the test isn't pleasant.

The test is a two-part swab: one swab of the back of your throat and one swab of the inside of your nose -- very, very deep inside your nose. Deep enough that it still hurt an hour later.

By now, my symptoms have started getting better: the coughing discharge was getting smaller and the cough was less painful. Though I was still tired and a bit dizzy, I had more energy. The night sweats were also getting less aggressive.

I have been quarantined since coming back and will stay quarantined until March 26, assuming things don't take an unexpected turn for the worst.

By now, many of my symptoms have gone away. The cough is now mostly dry and the night sweats are less aggressive, though they are still there.

I feel like I am through the worst and have made it to the other side, but only time will tell what will happen next.



No comments: