Friday 12 June 2020

Immanuel














One from the "back catalogue" today, from 17.02.2003

Immanuel

I was starving in a land so bare 
Swept clean of food by famine there 
And did you come and give me bread 
Or turn your eyes away instead? 

I was thirsty, no water there I drank 
But only unclean, stagnant pool that stank 
And did you give me fresh water, make me well, 
Or just ignore me when I fell? 

I was a stranger, unknown here to all of you 
Alone, away from friends now far and few 
And did you come and welcome me 
Or close your eyes, and did not see?

I was the poor man, overlooked by all 
As insignificant, contemptible and small 
And did you see me there, a down and out 
Or pass by swiftly, lest I shout? 

 I was so badly sick, and very ill 
No instant cure, no magic pill, 
And did you come to pray and care 
Or keep your distance out of fear? 

I was in prison, locked up away 
Bound in captivity to stay 
And did you visit me, in my bare cell 
Or judge me there to go to hell? 

 Do you see me now, open your eyes 
Or just ignore, block out, despise? 
Open the door, not shut and slam, 
And let me in, for here I AM.


No comments: