Tuesday 18 November 2008

Looking at the Deputies: What gets unsaid

 
In 2002 I offered myself for election in St Helier.

Why stand in St John's now? Well as I've already said my youth and roots lie in St John's, and last year an opportunity arose and I was able to move back to a house in the Parish. Although not the easy option the time and circumstances are right, I feel as though I have returned home. In life sometimes one has to follow one's heart.

One of the things I was looking forward to when I became a Deputy was to get involved more in community events and parish life generally, and I have been involved in many St Helier Parish events, however St John's feels more like home to me, and I am really looking forward to participating in my community in St John.

Reading the entire contents of his manifesto, it looks - to the casual reader - as if he has moved back from St Helier to St John. Not so. In fact, in the 2007 Telephone directory, he is listed as:

Deputy P.J.D. Ryan, 3 Le Pepiniere, La Route de Boulay, Trinity

So here are a few questions for Deputy Ryan: why didn't you stand in Trinity, and "get involved more in community events and parish life" there? Why not mention that you moved back from Trinity to St John? Why was that unsaid?

No comments: