A New Age Creed in a Christian Setting
I came across this Northumbrian “Declaration of Faith” the other day in a modern communion service, used in the evenings. What I find fascinating about it is that I have been looking at the modern revival of Gnosticism, which differs markedly in some ways from the ancient forms, and this could almost have been written to order.
I came across this Northumbrian “Declaration of Faith” the other day in a modern communion service, used in the evenings. What I find fascinating about it is that I have been looking at the modern revival of Gnosticism, which differs markedly in some ways from the ancient forms, and this could almost have been written to order.
I should note in fairness that not all of the surrounding liturgy has quite the same import, but one would have assumed a "Declaration of Faith" to have some historical underpinning as a centre,
Declaration of Faith
Declaration of Faith
Lord, I will trust You,
help me to journey beyond the familiar
and into the unknown.
Give me the faith to leave old ways
and break fresh ground with You.
Christ of the mysteries, can I trust You
to be stronger than each storm in me?
I determine amidst all uncertainty
always to trust.
I choose to live beyond regret,
and let You recreate my life.
I believe You will make a way for me
and provide for me, if only I trust You.
I will trust in the darkness and know
that my times are still in Your hand.
I will believe You for my future,
chapter by chapter, until all the story is written.
The text expresses inner transformation, personal awakening, and trust in the divine presence within uncertainty which are all themes that resonate strongly with modern Gnostic/New Age spirituality, but not with ancient Gnosticism, which was metaphysically very different. It has all the classic motifs in contemporary spiritual writing: the divine as guide, the self as traveller, the world as a landscape of inner growth.
New Age spirituality is built on my journey, my inner storms, my healing, my trust, my future, my determination and this declaration uses exactly this grammar:
“I will trust…”
“Help me to journey…”
“I determine…”
“I choose…”
“I believe You will make a way for me…”
This is self‑assertion of inner‑journey spirituality.
The striking thing about the Northumbria Declaration is how closely it resembles the tone and grammar of modern Gnostic spirituality, especially the kind Elaine Pagels analyses in The Gnostic Gospels and later work. This is not the ancient, mythic Gnosticism (with aeons, emanations, and cosmological dualism) but the contemporary, psychological form that treats Christ primarily as a revealer of inner mystery, a guide into the self, and a companion in the existential storms of the inner life.
When the Declaration speaks of “Christ of the Mysteries”, it uses exactly the kind of title modern Gnostic groups favour: a Christ who is hidden, interior, symbolic, and transformative, rather than the historical, incarnate, crucified, risen Lord of the creeds.
Pagels would immediately recognise this as belonging to the same family of ideas she describes when she writes about the inner spark, the hidden Christ, and the journey into the self.
Modern Gnostic declarations from groups such as the Ecclesia Gnostica, the Apostolic Johannite Church, and Sophian Gnostic Christianity often sound uncannily similar. They speak of Christ as the revealer of the hidden light, the guide through inner storms, the presence in the darkness, and the one who awakens transformation within. Their language is typically individualistic, introspective, and poetic, emphasising personal trust, inner healing, and existential journeying.
The reason for this resemblance is structural. Modern Gnostic spirituality is built on inner‑journey grammar: “I seek,” “I trust,” “I awaken,” “I journey,” “I open myself to the Mystery.” The Northumbria Declaration uses exactly the same grammar. It is entirely first‑person singular, entirely introspective, and entirely focused on the inner storms, inner darkness, inner healing, and inner transformation of the individual.
It contains no incarnation, no cross, no resurrection, no ascension, no Spirit, no Church, no kingdom, and no salvation history. In other words, it contains none of the elements that anchor Christianity in the apostolic proclamation. Instead, it frames Christ as a mystical companion who helps the individual navigate their inner landscape. This is why Pagels would say it fits modern Gnostic Christianity: Christ as guide into the inner mystery, not Christ as Lord of salvation history.
By contrast, the Apostles’ Creed is objective, historical, communal, and Christocentric. It is not psychological, not introspective, not poetic, and not focused on the inner life. It is a proclamation of what God has done in Christ, not a description of how I feel or how I journey. The Northumbria Declaration is almost the opposite: it is a description of my inner experience, not a proclamation of God’s saving action.
This is why it can “pass” in a New Age or modern Gnostic setting without anyone noticing it is Christian. It is not that the Declaration is heretical; it is that it is theologically porous, capable of being absorbed into multiple spiritual frameworks because it lacks the distinctive markers of apostolic Christianity.
In fact the Northumbria Declaration fits comfortably alongside the Gospel of Thomas in terms of tone, grammar, and spiritual posture. Both are inward, mystical, and experiential. Both treat Christ as revealer rather than redeemer. Both frame the spiritual life as an inner journey rather than a response to salvation history.
The Northumbria Declaration and the Gospel of Thomas share the same inner‑journey spiritual grammar: both treat the spiritual life as an inward pilgrimage rather than a response to salvation history, and both frame Christ as a revealer of mystery with Northumbria’s “Christ of the Mysteries” fitting closely with Thomas’s “secret sayings” that unveil hidden truth, a theme explored further in modern Gnostic spirituality.
Modern Vineyard and Bethel songs share the same experiential, inward, self‑journey grammar that defines both the Northumbria Declaration and the Gospel of Thomas. Their lyrical centre of gravity is not the historical events of the gospel of incarnation, cross, resurrection, ascension, kingdom, but the inner landscape of the worshipper: storms, darkness, longing, trust, surrender, fear, doubt, and personal transformation. The worshipper’s inner world becomes the primary arena of spiritual encounter.
This is why so many Vineyard and Bethel songs revolve around “my heart,” “my fear,” “my storm,” “my breakthrough,” “my surrender,” “my journey,” “my trust,” “my healing,” and “my encounter.” The Northumbria Declaration speaks in exactly the same register: “storms in me,” “journey beyond the familiar,” “trust in the darkness,” “recreate my life,” “I choose to live beyond fear.” This is not creedal Christianity; it is experiential mysticism, and that is precisely why it resonates so strongly with Vineyard / Bethel worship culture.
For example, “Goodness of God” shares the same inner‑journey grammar that defines the Northumbria Declaration and the Gospel of Thomas. The song’s centre of gravity is the inner landscape of the worshipper, the heart, the emotions, the storms, the surrender, the lifelong personal experience of God’s presence. It is not creedal, not historical, not doctrinal; it is experiential testimony.
Ultimately, the linguistic shift from creedal proclamation to experiential inwardness reveals a profound transformation in how contemporary believers conceptualize worship. By replacing the concrete, historical markers of salvation history (the incarnation, cross, and resurrection) with a porous vocabulary of inner storms and personal breakthroughs, modern charismatic worship distances itself from its apostolic anchors.
Whether in a Northumbrian liturgy or a Bethel anthem, this therapeutic grammar subtly reimagines Christ not as the cosmic Redeemer acting in history, but as an interior guide navigating the individual soul. Consequently, contemporary worship risks trading a robust, communal witness for a privatized mysticism, proving that when the way a church prays and sings loses its grounding in what it actually believes, Christian worship easily dissolves into the fluid structures of modern Gnostic spirituality.
No comments:
Post a Comment