Saturday 18 March 2023

The Happiness Patrol




















I was thinking about a Doctor Who story with that title and the way in which blues are played on a harmonica, and I also wanted to write a rondel structure. Add to that the idea of blues in the USA Deep South, and  riverboats chugging along. This rather strange poem was the result.

The Happiness Patrol

My mouth organ, playing the blues
Sadness flowing through every life
Happiness greater after strife
On that riverboat, on that cruise

Weepy drinking, hitting the booze
Street gangs, the punk with knife
My mouth organ, playing the blues
Sadness flowing through every life

It’s dynamite, just lighting the fuse
The happiness patrol, the afterlife
All the sweetness, ending strife
Leaving now, in my dancing shoes
My mouth organ, playing the blues

No comments: