Saturday 24 June 2023

Hotel












When you have dementia, you may be confused about your surroundings, piece together fragments of memories like crazy paving, and although you are well cared for, not everything may be as it seems in your memory.

Hotel

This is a nice hotel, and I came to stay
Some time ago, memory slips away,
And I can’t always remember everything;
And visitors come here, they often bring
Flowers, nice to see, and have a chat,
And from time to time, I see a cat;
I may go home sometime, but here and now,
The food here is good, I must allow;
And I’m not sure why I am staying here,
And worry sometimes, dear, oh dear;
I shan’t get up much, in case I fell,
So if I move, a sensor sounds a bell,
And nurses come, help me to bed;
Nurses or staff, I've lost the thread
Of that memory, that stray thought:
A nagging feeling that I ought
To remember, about this hotel;
Oh never mind, it's just as well!
I have to take my pills, every day,
Or so the nurses always say;
The staff are very nice, bring meals,
And the food is very tasty and appeals;
Sometimes I eat in the dining room;
Sometimes I stay in my bedroom;
Nice photos on the shelves, and I know
I should know them, but memories go:
Old age, I suppose, a twilight zone;
Then I remember some I've known,
Like a blind opening, just one crack:
Before it closes, names come back;
I can’t always hear people speak
When they visit, almost every week;
But I enjoy to chat and and to smile: 
I lip read a bit, so it is not a trial;
Time passes, I lose track of each day,
As glaciers melting softly, wash away,
In a blaze of autumn sunshine;
So thank you, and I feel quite fine,
Only a little tired, so if you don’t mind
I’d like to sleep, if you’d be so kind:
Hand me my blanket, nice and warm;
No rage at dying light, anger at a storm,
But fading in the limelight, still all is well
Goodbye, and for now farewell

No comments: