Thursday 31 May 2007

The evangelical tradition

I think this is brilliant!

"When I began theology, I assumed that all writers not published by the . . Press, or perhaps the . . of . . Trust, were suspect. If I read the right books I would find the 'answers'. Fortunately, after two years of soaking myself in the Bible itself, I was so gripped with the excitement of exegesis, and the new horizons it opened up that I didn't worry so much about 'sound' answers. I continue to respect the Reformers, and men like Charles Simeon, of 200 years ago, John Stott, Jim Packer and Michael Green, at whose feet I was privileged to sit, and whose work in a variety of ways created space for me to do things differently. Where I disagree with them it is because I have done what they told me to: to read Scripture and emerge with a more biblical theology. The evangelical tradition at its best encourages critique from within. It sends us back to the Scripture which stands over against all traditions, our own included."

Tom Wright
http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_My_Pilgrimage.htm

No comments: