Monday 21 May 2007

Irritation

Glanced at a copy of "Present Time", the Re-evaluation Counseling Journal, article on irritation. (Minor irritation: why can't they spell "counseling" properly as "counselling", or is it one of those "lite" kind of brand names?)

Tim Jackins said a good way to respond to people who irritated you was not to get cross, but instead to beam at them and say:

"What a wonderful mess you've made of your work. I wish I could make mistakes like you can."

or (to get the full American tone)

"Gee! What a wonderful mess you've made of your work. I wish I could make mistakes like you can."


The effect is to "discharge" your irritation. What a wonderful idea (he says in a tone dripping with sarcasm).

However, I think a warning should be given to retreat very hastily before the person you address attempts to discharge their irritation on your face!!!!

My girlfriend (whose copy this was) said she was irritated by my habit of "pouncing on her magazines and commenting on them". She decided not to follow Mr Jackin's advice.


No comments: