Friday 31 May 2019

The Jersey Blue Cross 1939 - Part 2




















I happened across this copy of the "Official Magazine of the JSPCA" entitled "The Jersey Blue Cross", which dates from March 1939 and shows how long the JSPCA has been helping animals in Jersey.


This is also an opportunity to donate, and please consider either membership or a donation, either one off or monthly to help the work of the organisation. Please enjoy reading this and do consider donating in one way or another.
https://jspca.org.je/donations/

The Jersey Blue Cross Magazine
March 1939
Official Magazine of the JSPCA

Sir Robert Gower receives the key
of the new hospital













IMPRESSIONS OF MY FIRST VISIT TO JERSEY
By SIR ROBERT GOWER, K.C.V.O., M.P.

I HAVE nothing but praise for the splendid work which is being carried on in Jersey on behalf of the Animal Welfare Cause.

On my arrival at St. Helier I received a very warm and hearty welcome from the Officials of the Jersey Society, and subsequently was entertained by Mr. and Mrs. Coutanche at their beautiful home, the view from which surpasses description. 












I subsequently had the privilege of performing the Opening Ceremony of the Dogs' Hospital, and I desire to congratulate Mr. Stephens, the indefatigable Manager of the Jersey Society, on the excellent arrangements he had made for this function.

Nurse C Brown admistering radio heat treatment















I was very pleasurably surprised when visiting the Animals' Shelter, including as it does the new Dogs' Home, and although, since I have had the honour to be Chairman of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, I have inspected many similar establishments, I must admit that I have never before visited a finer or better equipped Institution. I was particularly impressed by the arrangements for lighting and heating the Dogs' Hospital, and the department for electrical and radiant heat treatment which I saw. The Officials of the Home appeared to me to regard their work as a labour of love. I most sincerely felicitate the ,Jersey Society on the success which has attended its efforts.














Following the opening of the Dogs' Hospital, it gave me very great pleasure indeed to attend a tea party at the Pomme d'Or Hotel, and to request His Excellency, the Lieutenant-Governor, who graced the Opening Ceremony with his presence, to formally present to Mr. H. E. Stephens the Society's Bronze Medal in recognition of the splendid and devoted work for animals which he has done.

I would like particularly to thank Mr. Coutanche the Bailiff of the Island, for the too flattering observations which he made with regard to me in his speech after the tea.

I was very pleased to witness the enthusiastic way in which Mr. and Mrs. Coutanche are supporting the work of the Society. It must be a source of great encouragement to the Animal Workers to feel that they have the support of the chief citizens of the Island.

I also had the privilege of inspecting the State Abattoir, where I had the pleasure of meeting several members of the Island's Legislative Assembly. I have no hesitation in describing this Abattoir as being of a model nature, and I desire to congratulate the State Committee which is responsible for its management, as also the Inspector, Mr. H. Gaudin, on the efficient way in which it is conducted. Here again, although I have inspected many Abattoirs both in England and France, I have not visited one which is better equipped or more efficiently conducted.













I cannot refrain from recording the great pleasure it gave me to inspect the famous herds of Jersey cattle belonging respectively to Mr, J. A. Perree and Mr. Carlyle le Gallais. What particularly struck me was the very friendly and almost doglike attitude shown by the cattle, not only to towards those who looked after them, but to me " a strange visitor."

I desire to thank Mr. T. Le Q. Blampied, Mr. E. F. Guiton, and Mr. N. A. Allport for the kindness they showed to me during my visit 











It was with very great regret that my stay on the beautiful Island of Jersey was so short. The hospitality shown to me by Mr. and Mrs. Coutanche and Mr. Baal, and others, inspired in me a sense of gratitude.












 I hope to be able to visit the Island again in the near future and to have once more the pleasure of being conducted over Mont Orgeuil Castle by Major Rybot who, like myself, is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.

Whilst at Jersey I had an opportunity of attending a sitting of the Royal Court of the States of Jersey, and being myself a Chairman of a Court of Summary Jurisdiction in England, I was very favourably impressed by the manner in which justice was administered.

I left the Island feeling that it would be very difficult to improve upon the time honoured customs under which the Island is administered, and I was particularly gratified at the keenness and enthusiasm shown by everyone, with whom I came into touch, for the Animal Welfare Cause.














Quick Notes

We have noted through the medium of the English Kennel Club Calendar, just issued, that Mr. N. A. Allport, our Honorary Treasurer, has been elected a Member, Congratulations !



No comments: