Friday 21 July 2023

Woolworths – A retrospective from 1986














Woolworths – A retrospective
By Ken Webb
[Thinks!: The Journal of Channel Islands Mensa]
May 1986

In order to fight a take-over bid and to expand their B 8: Q outlets, F.W.Woolworth are selling several of their major stores and closing down a further 22 which are unprofitable. I remember the good. old-fashioned “Woolies” of the old - the very old - days.

When I was a kid, “Woolies” boasted that nothing in their store sold over 6d. in fact they were known as the ”3d and 6d store". Considering that the Woolworth family made millions one wonders how this could be so when the top price was - in modern parlance – 2 1/2 new p. Doubtless something to do with the intricacies of turnover and profit margins.

I recollect as a lad, barely of school age. I had an intense desire for a gramophone but our family being exceedingly poor, it was but a pipe dream.

Imagine my surprise and delight when that Xmas, I was presented with my heart's desire. “Woolies” had done it again! A gramophone for 6d? Well, not quite. The case was 6d (Dad); the clockwork motor 6d (Mum); turntable 6d (Aunt & Uncle); Pick-up arm 3d (Uncle); sound head 4d (Aunt); box of needles 2d(two cousins) - two shillings and three pence all told (11 new p). How about the records. you might say. Well, Woolies sold them for 3d and 6d each but, family finances being as they were, my source of supply was a second hand shop where you could pick them up for 1d each - scratches and all included!

My present system cost some hundreds of pounds but never gives me the happiness of my first ever - 2/3 at Woolies.

Such is progress!

No comments: