Saturday 18 February 2023

The Troubled Heart












This is very loosely based on Psalm 77, a psalm of Asaph, which I have been reading recently. The songs of anguish as just as important as the songs of triumph. And this is also why it is very different from my usual poems. This is a journey of the heart.

The Troubled Heart

The cold waters enclose me
And I shall surely drown
I am falling, falling, in the sea
Far from my home town

I remember, long, long ago
The warm amberic lights glowing
Cobbled streets I used to know
So well, when life was dawning

Rain shining on cobbled stones
My playground, a place to roam
And returning, taking chill off bones
Comforting fireplace within home

So long, long ago, and now I fall
Far down into that great deep
And who can hear me, when I call
Amidst this cold and deathly sleep

But I will remember the days of old
I will recall the joy breaking as light
And ancient wisdom that I was told
This will sustain me in this night

The waters will not hold me, I arise
Storms rage and thunder in the sky
But words of power are still wise
The seas are still, they hear my cry

And I give thanks for my salvation
On the shore, warm in a rising sun
The new day, and a new creation
Amen! All is finished, all is done.

No comments: