Saturday 5 November 2011

How to Plan And Budget A Major Disaster

Emergency exercise cost the taxpayer £20,000. Top civil servants spent the night at a four star hotel during a two-day exercise covering how they would react in a real emergency, and dealt with a real situation of a ferry capsizing... (JEP, 5 Nov 2011)

Here is a transcription of a record made by Shenton Tape Recording Services Inc., purveyor of fine transcripts without notice...

Hello, Rusty Tone Hotel and Tractor Factory, how can I help you?

Hello, my name's John Richardson, I'm the acting Chief Executive of the States of Jersey? I need to book rooms at once. We did this earlier for a scenario that I and my top colleagues acted out.

That is interesting, sir, I didn't know the States of Jersey had a Chief Officer who acted. When's the performance on?

Listen, it is a disaster. Now!

That's sad to hear. Not enough coming?

Look, we've 21 here, and we need to a book a room. We need meals, wine and accomodation.

And when do you want to book the room for?

Now, this instance. Immediately.

I'm afraid we don't have enough rooms available. This is the height of the tourist season, you know, sir.

Well, the ferry has capsized. We've only hours to do anything. This is a major emergency. We can't do anything unless we get a four star hotel. all our planning was done on that basis!

I hear that the Hotel de France has some spaces free, perhaps 21.

That will do nicely.

....

Hotel de France?

Yes sir, how may I help?

Hello, my name's John Richardson, I'm the acting Chief Executive of the States of Jersey? I need to book rooms at once. There's been a major emergency. I need two days.

Fine, I've booked you in.

Are meals available? Now, this instance?

Yes, sir.

Good. At last we can sit down at a table in a four star hotel and follow the plans we drew up... Can you fax over the wine list, please?

"We all hope there will never be a major disaster, but in if ever we do have to get together under those circumstances, the value of all of us having been together for 20 hours at a four star hotel will be phenomenal. Especially for the four star hotel."

2 comments:

Alane Wallace said...

Snarky and wonderful!

James said...

I am unavoidably reminded of the Father Ted episode Speed 3, where in a desperate attempt to help Father Dougal from the boobytrapped milkfloat, Ted suggests watching The Poseidon Adventure...