Saturday 12 November 2022

Shorelines













Sometimes I just like to express how the sea and coastland has been always so much part of my life. Once when in Gloucester, I found myself so cut off from this source of strength and did not regain y equilibrium until I returned. I find that reading the Orkney writer George MacKay Brown, the same sense of feeling, and passion for the coastal landscape, the ever changing tides, and I suppose it must be something to do with growing up by the sea.

Shorelines

The waves upon the beach, such sounds
are joys unto my ear
It sooths my sorrows, and surrounds
and drives away my fear.

The sand, the sea, the sky, the whole
The Celtic three: and I am blessed
Along the seashore would I stroll
And afterwards will rest

Come walk with me, my dearest friend
And hear the seagulls sing
This is my path, from start to end
Like a bird upon the wing

Moonlight on sea, brings to my heart
And to my mind warm thought
Without this coast, hope would depart
And all my life be naught

To climb up the rocky crag, I came
And catching fleeting breath;
And here I found out my true name
My life from birth to death.

No comments: