Tuesday 8 April 2014

Posting about the Past


The building above was once the HQ of the Jersey Evening Post on Bath Street, and later briefly, where Income Tax was before they relocated to Cyril Le Marquand House.

But the photo, while it looks old, is actually modern, taken this month. I've been collecting photos of St Helier buildings, especially offices and shop fronts, as a visual record of what the Town looked like in the second decade of this century.

I was enjoying an App on Kindle, which enables one to manipulate photos, and came up with this rendering, a sepia shade, with a grainy texture, but it was not an attempt to deceive anyone, just myself having a bit of creative fun.

However, looking old, as it did, brought back many memories for some of those posting comments on Facebook, and they are, I think, well worth sharing. I have made them anonymous, by removing surnames. They are fascinating little anecdotes of the past. 

Andrew: My dad was a graphic artist at the JEP for many years - in the corner of his studio behind his chair was a door that opened onto the mechanism running the clock visible on the outside of Charles House ~ mesmerising for a young boy. This was also the cupboard where "Uncle Harry" of the Junior Club kept his prizes. Loved watching the liquid metal being poured by the typesetters too. Memories... 

Denise: I remember this building as well, further up on the left hand side of this picture was a big wooden door and at the back of this area was an old wooden staircase which took you right up to the top of the building where the photographic department was. I used to run up these stairs regularly after school at Halkett Place to see my dad who was one of the JEP photographers. 

Andrew: I ran up those stairs after school too. Dad finished work at lunchtime on Thursdays & went in on Saturday morning. There was a cinema very close too 

Christine: I used to work there sending out the weekly post. I remember when Bunty Wagstaff announced to the staff his engagement to Daphne !!! Fond memories of Terry Mercury who was a proof reader back in the 70's.    

No comments: