Thursday 5 April 2018

Easter Day by John Masefield - Part 4












I'm having a break from my blog for the Easter holidays, and so here is something I prepared earlier. It is the final of four parts of a transcript of an Easter play by John Masefield (best known for "The Box of Delights"), published in 1929.  Like his Christmas play, this is quite non-traditional and imaginative.

Parts 1-3 here:
http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/easter-day-by-john-masefield-part-1.html
http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/easter-day-by-john-masefield-part-2.html
http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2018/04/easter-day-by-john-masefield-part-3.html





Easter Day by John Masefield - Part 4

(MARY MAGDAGLEN enters)

MARY MAGDALEN
I, who am Mary Magdalen, am here
To deck my dead Lord's body for his rest,
To take farewell of Him who was most dear
And give the sepulchre her sacred guest.

One week ago I saw Him crowned with flowers,
Hailed as a King, in triumph ; and to-day
Death has abashed that glory that was ours,
The ruined house lies broken, to decay.

How shall I roll away the heavy stone
That blocks the entry to the chamber ?  Look I
It has been tugged aside and overthrown,
Ev'n as the Temple that the earthquake shook.

I thank Thee, God, that I may see the dead .. .
O God, my strength, what miracle is here ?
Someone is sitting by my Master's head,
Someone most bright, I cannot go for fear.

Can it be He ?  But no, I saw Him killed,
I saw Him broken, taken from the tree .. .
It is an Angel, lightning-faced and filled
With fiery purpose that God brings to be.

(Tbe YOUNG MAN appears)

THE YOUNG MAN
Be not affrighted.
Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified.
He is not here, He is risen, as He said ;
Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
But go your way, tell His disciples (and Peter)
That He is risen from the dead
And goeth before you into Galilee ;
There ye shall see Him, as He said unto you.
Lo, I have told you.

MARY MAGDALEN
They have removed his body out of dread
Lest we should steal him hence.  Beloved Lord,
Reft from me, living, taken from me dead,
O for one glimpse of You, one little word l

THE YOUNG MAN
Woman, why weepest thou ?

MARY MAGDALEN
Because they have taken away my Lord
And I know not where they have laid Him.
(She turns to go)

ANIMA CHRISTI
Woman, why weepest thou ?  Whom seekest thou ?

MARY MAGDALEN
Sir, if you be the keeper of this garden,
And you have borne Him hence,
Tell me where you have laid Him
And I will take Him away.

ANIMA  CHRISTI
Mary !

MARY MAGDALEN
Dear Master !

ANIMA CHRISTI
Touch me not ;
For I am not yet ascended to my Father :
But go to my brethren, and say unto them
I ascend unto my Father, and your Father,
And to my God, and your God.

MARY MAGDALEN
I have beheld my Master face to face
And heard His voice and looked into His eyes,
He whom myself saw buried in this place.
He said that on the third day He would rise.

Now has His quickened spirit that was set
Upon eternal life, pierced through the veil,
His loveliness is living with us yet,
Imagination and the Will avail.

And with Him, lo, the shining strengths that dwell
Within His Father's Kingdom, gleam on gleam,
Come to defend Man's spirit against hell
And make God's Kingdom here, and not a dream.

And lo, the morning and the April flowers,
The light of heaven and the birds of Spring,
And Paradise above with all her towers,
Sweet with the chimes of all the bells that ring.

THE ANGELS
Within the wastes of space,
Beyond all track or trace,
Where no Sun shows his face
On suns grown sightless,
At last a comet shrieks
Its zest for what it seeks
And on the frozen peaks
There comes a brightness.

After the winter days,
With mud upon the ways,
And no leaves on the sprays
And no birds singing,
There comes the lambling's bleat,
There comes the greenling wheat,
The cuckoo tolling sweet
And swallows winging.

After the midnight dark,
Unlit by star or spark,
All blackness, without mark
Or beacon gleaming,
Suddenly Night has ceast
And, like a bright-robed priest,
Alive out of the East
The Dawn comes streaming.

Sing, men and angels, sing,
For God our Life and King
Has given us Light and Spring
And morning breaking.
Now may Man's Soul arise
As kinsman to the skies,
And God unseals his eyes
To an awaking.

Sing, creatures, sing ; the dust
That lives by lure and lust,
Is kindled by the thrust
Of life undying ;
This Hope our Master bare
Has made all fortunes fair
And Man can on and dare,
His death defying.

MARY MAGDALEN
After the winter snows
A wind of healing blows
And thorns put forth a rose
And lilies cheer us ;
Life's everlasting Spring
Hath robbed Death of his sting,
Henceforth a cry can bring
Our Master near us

No comments: