Friday 10 June 2022

St Brelade's Election: Focus on Karl Busch

I have nothing against people coming from the UK and standing for election. But I do wonder how much knowledge and experience of local matters they have if they've only been here for a few years, as is the case with Karl Busch.

I also wonder about this commitment if their political record elsewhere does not suggest a good commitment to those who elected him.

Here are some public domain stories which are about his resignation as a district councillor in the UK before he came to Jersey. I can see on the hustings that he is very likeable and affable, and obviously his tea dances - which he mentioned at the hustings - are good for an aging population. But based on his past track record, I do wonder if despite any assurances given, he would be as committed to the States.

Karl Busch

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/tory-councillor-who-missed-75-per-cent-of-meetings-because-he-was-running-dance-events-is-to-stand-down-123821/

A district councillor who missed 75 per cent of meetings because he was 200 miles away running dance events is to stand down.

Karl Busch, 54, met the legal requirement of attending one meeting every six months, but his absence sparked criticism from overwhelmed colleagues.

The Mid Devon councillor for Cullompton North split his time between his home in Exeter and the Channel Island of Jersey.

During his absences, fellow councillor Nikki Woollatt said she has been overwhelmed with her workload. She said: “I kind of feel that the council taxpayer has been subsidising him while he pursues other projects.

“He’s drawing an allowance, but not putting in the effort.”

https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/watch-dancing-councillor-shuffles-out-role-after-spending-too-much-time-jersey/#.YqOOv3bMLIU

UK district councillor is making quicksteps out of his role after being accused of letting his council work pile up while he waltzed off to Jersey to run a tea dance club.

Mid Devon councillor for Cullompton North, Karl Busch (54), made the announcement that he wouldn’t be running for election again last week.

It came after it was revealed that the Conservative had only met the legal minimum of one council meeting every six months, spending 75% of his time 200 miles away running dance events in St. John Parish Hall.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/local-news/councillor-accused-not-pulling-weight-2625113

Councillor Nikki Woollatt (Cullompton North, Independent) was not swayed.

She said: “I'm very pleased to see my fellow ward member here today. As I'm sure he knows, I'm one of the people that have been complaining about his lack of absence.

“I commend him on the work that he's doing, but that work isn’t carrying out the councillor role.

“He doesn't even have a telephone number published for his constituents to contact him on, but he does have a telephone number published for his tea dance clients.

“I get complaints from constituents that he hasn't replied to emails as people write to both of us. I can only report what I'm told. I've even had an officer tell me that he doesn't reply to his emails so while he may have been very busy on very commendable work he has not been carrying out, in my view, the role of a ward councillor.

“I've noticed in the last couple of years how much my casework has increased since his absence.”

No comments: