Friday 24 June 2022

The Parting of the Ways













I’ve weaved in and out a borrowing of lyrics from Darren Everett Criss song “Status Quo”for the musical Starship for this poem.

https://musikguru.de/starkid-productions/songtext-status-quo-1088531.html

This poem is, of course, about the sea change in the 2022 general election in Jersey this June.


The Parting of the Ways

The election came, and I was expecting the status quo
The regulars voted in, not many told to go
Despite the status quo giving so many disasters
It starts with not questioning the answers
And giving up before you've begun
But as it turns out, there was a smoking gun
Another pipe dreamer, stuck on the bottom floor
And so many leaving as if by a revolving door
The Chief Minister is gone, suffering a defeat
And this new song goes on, a strident beat
And the voters said “I might have made it so”
The new lyrics: “When I said no, no, no”
Time to look upwards, at the Sky at Night
I am a Starship Ranger, and the stars are bright
The parting of the ways, the old order ousted
The knight sallied forth, ready, but was jousted
The battle lost, a falling army see
And I kick down the walls around me
They don't know how strong I am
Time for the old guard to go, depart, scram
Failing votes, ballots on lower extremities
I'm not defined by boundaries
I'm gonna do everything I can
A new hope, and a fresh plan



No comments: