Saturday 1 October 2011

Fifty Years

My Annie would have been 50 today...

Fifty Years
 
This was your fiftieth birthday, but it was not to be
And I remember you last, memories by the sea
The restaurant, the meal with all your friends
A last supper, a portent of the coming ends
But there was no pain, just a sudden moment
The morning death came, and you swiftly went
 
I watched Bill Bailey today, you so loved him
A surrealist improviser, humour built from whim
And I felt you would be there, watching, too
I could see your laughter, tears fall like dew
Time of joy, of memories mellow that I had
Yet tinged with loss, the parting still so sad.
 
Heat waves, and how you would have been
I can imagine you, on the lounger, a scene
Of rest and refreshment, you loved the sun
And colder winter weather did best shun
But you also enjoyed sunset, across the bay
And there your ashes went, scattered away.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I enjoy you because of all of your effort on this site. Its been an motivation for me. I've passed this onto a friend of mine.

Alane said...

That's just gorgeous. I love the way it captures the everdayness of life. I send my thoughts your way, Tony She was a lucky woman and it sounds like she had a lovely life.