Saturday 14 July 2018

Fading Flowers at Sunset








There was an accident at La Pulente, down by the bend at the bottom and a man crashed his car and died. I went for a walk there on Friday evening, and on my way back, I spotted these flowers. And I thought: someone remembered, someone cared. That was the inspiration for this poem:

Fading Flowers at Sunset

One evening walk, I chanced to see
Flowers by the roadside, fading fast
At the bend in the road, beside a tree
Remember, they said, remember my past

A car comes along that winding road
And crashes: and there a man is dead
Now only flowers remain in this abode
Token of memory, that tears were shed

Flowers on a hot day: they wilt and fade
I see them in sunset, in the day’s goodbye
We wither and die, become a mere shade
Lost in the breeze in the pinky hued sky

I passed by the road, where the poor man had lain
And flowers will fade, but the love will remain

No comments: