Saturday 17 April 2021

The Piper’s Call




















This poem is drawing heavily on "The Wind in the Willows" and I wanted to do a rondelle to capture something of the mystic atmosphere of the chapter in the book with the title I reference in the first line. This poem came to me in images and music, and I hope I've done that vision justice.

The Piper’s Call

I hear the piper at the gates of dawn
The wind in the willows, soft flute call
Magic in the air, I rise and my eyes fall
On fairy ring of mushrooms on the lawn

The mist is slowly rising, and I am drawn
At strange enchantment, I feel so small
I hear the piper at the gates of dawn
The wind in the willows, soft flute call

Glimpse, shadows, fairy folk, a faun
The music plays on, behind a wall
And I am entranced, and in its thrall
With fear and joy, I cross the lawn
I hear the piper at the gates of dawn

No comments: