Saturday 22 May 2021

The Great Sky Above













From the dawn of time, the night sky has captivated human imagination. I was listening the Radio 4's The Essay on this subject. In the series, Astronomer Dr Stuart Clark gave his personal perspective on how we draw meaning from the stars on 5 essays. And I decided to do a series of 5 poems on the subject.

The Great Sky Above

The dawn of time, the canopy of night
Imprinted the first humans with awe
Looking up, the sky of twinkling light
The heavens, perfect, without a flaw

Marking time, one moon to the next
Twenty-eight days: come to fullness again
Clay tablets show this no longer vexed
The monthly cycles now made plain

The shortest day to the longest day
Passing of the sun around the year
Measured, calculated, this is our way
Understanding removes the fear

I lift up my eyes to the Great Sky above
The heavens awash with signs I love

No comments: