Saturday 15 May 2021

Bluebell Wood













A bit of Dante, an alternative name for bluebells, and the fact that Bluebells usually flower from mid-April to late May, went into this poem,

The bluebell has many names: English bluebell, wild hyacinth, wood bell, bell bottle, Cuckoo’s Boots, Wood Hyacinth, Lady’s Nightcap and Witches’ Thimbles, Hyacinthoides non-scripta

Bluebell Wood

I awoke, and found myself in a dark wood
My path uncertain, the direct way lost
A wild place, a fearful place, where I stood
Where strange forebodings myself accost

Was I dreaming, or was I still fast asleep?
I walked onward, heart pieced with fear
Along a wooded valley, sides so steep
Shadows came, in haunting appear

But then I came across the forest glade
Carpeted with bluebells, witches thimble,
Sun’s beams breaking across the shade
And butterflies dancing, light and nimble

Now the bluebells bring the sign of May
And the dawning of a brighter day

No comments: