Saturday 13 August 2011

Abiding Light

A poem related to the riots, which could be sung to the tune of "Abide with Me"...

Abiding Light

Fires burning bright, come the eventide
Fear striking now where good folk abide
Where the law fails, and our comforts flee
Pray for the light of life to abide with me
 
Swift comes the shadows, at the close of day
Economics failing, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
Let me stand firm, the centre still with me
 
Breaking of glass, violence cutting sword
Taking all gains, which they cannot afford
Tired of condescension, Nietzsche breaking free
Terror is coming now, to abide with me
 
Come not in terrors, grabbing many things
And not as the bankers, lording it like Kings
But let the people rise in hope, heartfelt in their plea
Let the light shine in darkness, and abide with me
 
Cleaning with broomsticks, this is people power
And for the night menace, shines the daylight hour
Here is the London Pride, the Blitz they did not flee
Until the peal of bells, when peace abides with me
 
Hold firm the staff, and pray with open eyes
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Let there be a daybreak, and let dark shadows flee
Pray for the light of life to abide with me

No comments: