Wednesday 27 February 2019

Guest Post on Hospital Site Selection













This was a question I posed to Inna Gardiner who also stood for election in May 2019:

I hope you don’t mind a question which came to mind.

In the JEP Q&A for their May election supplement, you said:

"Where the new hospital should be built? ( 50 words): The decision has already been made. I feel the hospital has been postponed for long enough. Now I would want to make sure that all residents living close to the building site are protected and disruption minimised. Dust, noise, vibration and access plans also need to be agreed before work starts."

Your manifesto said:

"The proposed new hospital is a big issue facing all of Jersey’s residents right now. Strong leadership is needed to make quick and potential unpopular decisions, whilst working with planners and architects to deliver our new hospital soon. We urgently require a new hospital fit for the future.
However, I am not yet convinced that the case has been properly made to build the new hospital in its current location. If moved elsewhere, the site would make a fantastic location for affordable homes and more green space for St. Helier. I will closely check and investigate that all procedures and
measures dealing with dust, noise and vibration management are put in place to protect the living conditions of those living close to the site"

I’d be interested to note what caused your change of mind about the case for the hospital in the current location. Of course you are perfectly entitled to take new evidence and the changing political landscape into consideration, and indeed I would expect it.

Inna with Jack Rondel (Richard's son) who
is endorsing her candidature.




















Her reply (which I have permission to share)

Thank you for your email and giving me the opportunity to share my views on the Hospital.

At the time of the last election I was under the impression, as most of us were, that the Hospital site was fixed and plan had already been established.

In that case my concerns would be to deliver the best possible facilities with the least disruption to St Helier residents.

Following the latest developments in our government views that are currently out of my control, I expect that after the debate on the 12th of February, we will re open the location question.

In any new site selection process I think all possible sites, including the current Gloucester Street site should be examined again. Notwithstanding the planning inspector views that none of the sites is perfect and all will conflict on some way with the Island plan.

After talking to hospital staff who have been involved in the consultation process I am also concerned with the ability of the existing architect to design a hospital fit for purpose on the Gloucester Street site.

I had a meeting with Future Hospital almost 2 weeks ago and requested very specific information about the possible sites. See below a quote from the answer sent to me on 30 January:

"This site appraisal report is the one which evaluated all of the town sites in 2015. It evaluated Overdale, existing site, Waterfront and People’s Park and each of these has a section in the report which reviews their merits and challenges. It is important to point out that the scheme described on the existing site in this report is not the one which has been the subject of the recent planning application. The scheme evolved substantially between 2015 and 2018 and the evolution of the different schemes on the existing site was the topic of this presentation given to the Policy Development Board."

Verbally it was communicated to me that we don’t have info specific enough to assess suitability for any other sites.

I believe that a person’s judgement is only good as the information they have.

If elected you can be sure that I will read and reread the various reports and facts that have been given to the States members and make my judgement based on these facts. If I think some of the facts given are doubtful, not facts but opinions, are created from false axioms or incomplete data I will make my own enquiries and then make a decisions based upon the fullest picture available.

I am come from business consulting background and will use my expertise to deliver our much needed hospital in the most suitable location at within a budget the Island can afford.

No comments: