Saturday 2 February 2019

The Time Machine
















There have been two movie adaptations of "The Time Machine", both excellent, and of course both took liberties with Well's original story on the catastrophe that overwhelms the earth, and the Morlocks. Of the two, I prefer the second, but them I'm always a sucker for love lost, love found again - but neither takes us to the distant future, the spectre of the last days of the earth, the sun grown cold before the final cataclysm. 

It's a cold beach that the Time Machine stops on, and the cold weather outside put me in mind of it, and I also wanted to capture the Victorian beginnings of the story, and another winter, this time of snow shining white under the gas lamps in the street at night.

The Time Machine

Time of ice, the wind blows cold
The last of days, the sun turns red
An ending now, the earth grows old
The moment now, when all is dead

I pushed the lever, backwards went
Back to the past, past Morlock time
When humankind became so bent
And lived below, amidst the grime

Back to the present, gaslight glow
Clock slows down, I come to rest
A Victorian winter, with its snow
There and back, was all my quest

The machine travelled far, to distant lands
And now in my study, there it stands

No comments: