Friday 10 October 2008

A Word for Friday - Thrifty

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/10/08/bye-to-the-eye/

IT is time to say goodbye to the Jersey Eye this week, as the four-day operation to dismantle the giant Ferris wheel is now well under way. The 60-metre attraction, which became a dramatic feature of St Helier's coastline and was brightly lit up at night since it was erected in June, is being taken to Cardiff for the Christmas season....It was that sort of luck that seemed to dog the venture, which Edward Mellors from Funderworld said would lead to them facing an overall loss of around £15,000. 'I don't think enough local people were interested in it and there were not the number of visitors around to make up for that,' he said.

I have heard it said time and time again - "Why do I have to pay when I can just go to Fort Regent and look at the view?" I am amazed that I haven't seen with my binoculars all the hordes of people who must be doing just that! If all the people who go to the wheel in other places went to Fort Regent over here, the place would end up in the Guinness Book of Records! I can just imagine thousands thronging the skyline! Or is it just a lazy argument, given by people who are rather thrifty with their money?

"Thrifty" is a wonderful word. One of my cousins lived with a teacher for many years, and he was so "thrifty" that he made her pay extra for any heating during the Christmas holidays because he was at work and she wasn't. And it was Economy 7 heat anyway!

In the meantime, if you are "thrifty", faithful reader, you can still experience the Jersey Eye - for free - from my You Tube playlist!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B278D782EC6C5AF8

I enjoyed the experience anyway!

1 comment:

Captain Fantastic said...

And it required no planning permisson, who needs tall buidings when you can cater for the whims of those who need such follies.

What a waste of money all round.